Links

Thursday, April 9, 2015

People Aren’t Always Beautiful

I said this statement so boldly about a month ago. And again, just the other night. But enter: humble pie, just when you need it. I’ll try my best to walk you through my thoughts the past month or so. Sorry about the crazy mess...

Missionary Envy (noun): The bitter state of feeling like a failure and seeing how wonderful everyone else’s ministry is. Often related to feelings of inadequacy and lack of faith.

I’m really hoping that I’m not the only person in the world who’s had this feeling, especially now that I’ve just blasted this on the Internet. But to be honest, it has been easy to become jealous and discontent with things out here. I was reading about another missionary’s experience where the new language seemed so easy to learn, the people were so beautiful, and missions just seemed so great. And that’s when I became a Bitter Betty. I was so jealous because my experiences haven’t been exactly the same. I mean, what happened to the honeymoon stage???

People often ask what it’s like here, and sometimes it’s difficult for me to fully share about Nagishot, because there are a lot of hard things here. And it’s hard to explain because you’re just plain tired from everything. You’re angry at people who steal from you and the overall lack of justice. (Confession: I chased a kid who stole money from us. Not my proudest moment). Tired of people constantly asking you for things. Hate how wary you become of people and never trusting their motives. Overwhelmed by the stories of murder, suicide, rape, abuse, adultery, theft, arson, abandonment, drunkenness, and lies. And so deeply saddened and burdened by the apathy towards God and the general contentment to live such a depraved and futile life. These are the things that break me. These are the things that make me most frustrated, angry, sad, hurt, and discouraged. These are the things that just recently threw me into a slump of wondering why I’m here and whether or not there’s any hope. The things that cause me to be awake at 1:16 am saying, “God I’m right here, the Didinga are right here…so where are you?” These are the hard things to share because part of me wants to cover the shame, both theirs and my own.  

So this is just one of my many prideful moments where I forget how sinful and wicked and ugly I am too. Jesus didn’t die on the cross because I’m so beautiful and easy to love, yet in the hard moments I fail to remember that I am no less a sinner and am just as much (if not more) in need of a Savior.

My home church is going through the 9Marks book on evangelism and I love this quote from the author:

“When Paul says that we should see people through the eyes of Christ, he means for us to have a gospel view of people. So we see people as beautiful, valuable creatures made in the image of God. Each and every one of us carries God’s mark. That is why Christians believe all people have dignity, worth, and value.
            At the same time, we recognize that every person is fallen, sinful, and separated from God. All people have twisted the image of God into horrible shapes. That is why Christians are not enamored with people either.
            But in a culture of evangelism, most of all we’re mindful of what people can become: new creations in Christ, renewed and restored by the transforming power of God (2 Cor. 5:17). I long to be with Christians who remember that people are image-bearers. I long to be with Christians who remember people’s separation from God. Most of all, I long for a culture that remembers what people can become through the gospel.”

So I must recant my previous statement (whether I’m feeling it or not), and proclaim that people ARE beautiful when you see them in the eyes of Christ.

I promise you I have some other really exciting stories to share about-- great, redeeming moments. The moments that I treasure and can show you a glimpse of Jesus working amongst the Didinga. But those stories are easy to share, and to be fair I thought I needed to post this one first because this is the other side of those good moments.

I’m so thankful for missionary friends and blog posts that are so raw and honest about their experiences. I’ve needed, and clung to, those stories and confessions to feel a sense of normalcy. I wish I could hide my shame and sin, pretending that I’m not drowning in my own self-pity and general lack of humility, love, forgiveness, and faith. But I recently read another blog post that reminded me that the whole story needs to be told. Both good and bad. And so this is my attempt to let you know that whatever the blog post, Facebook update, or Instagram picture, there’s always the good days and the harder days. I’m just praying that no matter the day, I can respond to God in obedience, with thanksgiving and joy.


 
Our friends' home that got burned down. They lost everything they owned, including all the wheat they had just harvested. When we asked what happened, we learned that someone in their family (not sure who) cut the throat of a man, so his wife came and burned their house down. 

8 comments:

  1. Hola Lisa-- gracias for your honest post. I understand the 'missionary envy' that you talk about. I look around me here, read blogs and see FB posts of the FANTASTIC things that God seems to be doing through the lives of other missionaries and I feel ashamed sometimes. I feel ashamed that somedays, life just looks like 'normal'-- cleaning my apartment, going grocery shopping and paying bills.

    Sometimes I look at other people and see that I'm not as gifted or talented as they are-- they're awesome at organizing community events. Me? I'm awesome at organizing 1-6 people small group activities. But God doesn't judge us or love us any less. I've been slowly learning about the body of Christ and remembering 1 Corinthians 12:12-31, that every part of the body is important, as are the people who make up the body of Christ.

    God has gifted YOU, Lisa, in many ways and I've seen that back at home. Yet, He is making it harder for you and challenging you in Nagishot because through those experiences, He is shaping and molding you and giving you eyes to see the brokenness of people there and giving you eyes to see your own brokenness. And in your brokenness, God is using your honesty to encourage me and others who are reading your blog…

    Thanks much for the update. I <3 updates. I <3 blogs. I <3 you! =)
    -KC-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa,
    Thanks for being so open and honest. I think that the enemy loves to keep us blinded to our own sin or keep us isolated. I know it probably wasn't easy for you to confess these thoughts and struggles especially in such a way. But! I am so encouraged by your sharing and reminded that I'm not alone in struggling with my own sin or struggling with even just admitting my pride to myself in how I view those around me. Something that we learned at youth retreat was greeting each other with the identity that God sees us in. And so I greet you, Lisa, beloved daughter of God, completely and eternally and lavishly loved by God. Love you. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa, thanks for sharing your honest reflections. It's amazing that even with our limited human perspective, we can often look back and see how we were able to grow so much through difficult circumstances. God, with his infinite perspective, has a reason for everything he does - even if he doesn't show us that reason in the moment. If we can see the good through the evil, then how much more can he? Don't give up hope. I really enjoyed the evangelism quote you shared. Hoping for you to have a fruitful time until you return. God bless - Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lisa,
    Through your many experiences and struggles we are reminded of God's Grace and Mercy and how He is strengthening you to be such a bright light to the Cross, not just for the people of South Sudan, but also for all of us at Lighthouse and to all of those that we share your stories with.
    We will continue to pray for you and to think of you continuously because we are so blessed and thankful for you for being such an awesome evangelist for us all. Love - Bill & Loris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is depressing :( Thanks for sharing. Praying for you and looking forward to your return<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lisa for sharing so openly and being vulnerable for our benefit. I will definitely keep praying for you. It seems like the Lord is doing a beautiful work in your own heart through the times of darkness that he has lovingly seen to put you through. I pray that through the realization of your own sins that you would see how sweet the gospel is even more and more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was reading out your blog to Ken while he was driving me to the Seattle Gospel Center this morning. Half way through, my voice cracked with sobbing and tears clouded my eyes. In my mind, my arms were reaching for your shoulders for ME to cry on. i want to hug you and thank you for your bravery and honesty in helping me to come to term with my own iniquities. Our all knowing Father, placing you where you are now, creates a chain of awakening, only the Lord can dictates, how powerful and gratifying its' path. In the mean time, Praise The Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Ms Lisa, if after decades of brutal war, destruction and complete lack of any sense of human development since the world was created, you expected the sort of lifestyle in the US/West, then you had better stayed where you could find easy comforts of life. Describing my people in such a derogatory manner, even with your religious lacing, is probably the most offensive thing you have done. It's also very unfortunate that all these, including this rather condescending title (People Aren't Always Beautiful), comes from someone who claims to be religious? Who are you to judge my people?

    This is the problem where any Tom & Jerry and naive teenagers from the West looking for an African adventure comes to and makes these judgemental statements. If you cannot appreciate the issues, including war and poverty induced trauma, that my people have been facing, while you were born and brought up in the land of plenty, then please find something else sensible and useful to do.

    Thanks,
    Konyen Nakuwa

    ReplyDelete