Links

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Home Stay!

During my first week in Nagishot, I did a home stay and lived with a Didinga family for five days. The purpose of the home stay is to be able to observe and live with a family to learn about the culture, customs, and language here. It was challenging at times, but I’m so thankful for the chance to have gotten to know the family and have my first friends here in Nagishot :) My home stay “mama” is Julietta and she has 4 children: Ya-ya (17), Night (15), Dennis (12), and Jackson (8).

While I was staying with them, I “helped” with a lot of their daily tasks. They were really good about showing me different things and teaching me. I knew they could also tell when things were too heavy or I was too tired, because they would always give me less :) Some of the daily things we did were getting water from the well, going to the marketplace for flour or yeast, buying vegetables, cooking the meals, and washing the dishes. Usual meals included ahat (the Didinga word for “ugali” which is basically water and flour) and some kind of green vegetable; or once we had rice and beans. They also taught me how to make mendazi for breakfast! (It’s a kind of sweet fried bread). I even helped (more like watched) Ya-ya kill one of their chickens for lunch one day. That was definitely a special treat and really sweet of them! They also showed me how to harvest corn, collect coffee beans, and ground flour out of corn with stones. I definitely got to see a glimpse of what daily living looks like. Some of my favorite moments were watching the family laugh together around the fire at night, reading scripture with some of the kids, and the one-on-one times with the two older girls.

Now five days of a home stay can be filled with a whole lot of awkwardness and discomfort. And as I experienced those moments, I felt the most convicted about whether or not I truly love the Didinga people. My heart was really challenged that week, and I think also discouraged at realizing my lack of love, selfishness, and idol of comfort. There were moments when “preach the Gospel to yourself” had such new meaning for me.

But there were also moments where God showed so much grace in how He encouraged and strengthened me. Sometimes at night I would feel so uncomfortable that I just wanted to go to sleep; but I would look up at the stars and be reminded that God placed every single star up there, and in the same way he placed, knows, and loves every person here in Nagishot. One night we all went to bed particularly early and I couldn’t fall asleep, so I just laid there and prayed for their family. I also prayed for God to help me surrender all to Him (I Surrender All). Also, as I was singing Fall Afresh by Jeremy Riddle in my head, it started raining and just felt like kind of a fresh start.

Their family seems so hungry and interested in learning more about Christ. Please join me in praying for true conviction, repentance and growth in their lives!

The family's tukle

From the inside of their tukle

Harvesting Corn

Grinding flour

Grinding flour from dried corn

Collecting coffee beans!

Drying coffee beans

The way to the water well

Showing me their fields

The mom, Julietta

Jackson

Ya-Ya and Night

Oken, Jackson and Ya-Ya

8 comments:

  1. Hello my dear! Thank you for your post and your honesty about what God is revealing to you in your heart... I can relate to all those things (and I'm not even on the mission field yet!). So encouraged to hear what God is teaching you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acts 18:9-10 - JI Packer writes, “Thus the sovereignty of God in grace gave Paul hope of success as he preached to deaf ears, and held up Christ before blind eyes, and sought to move stony hearts. His confidence was that where Christ sends the gospel there Christ has his people—fast bound at present in the chains of sin, but due for release at the appointed moment through a mighty renewing of their hearts as the light of the gospel shines into their darkness and the Savior draws them to himself.” Praise God for your love for Him, resulting in your love for the Didinga people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lisa for serving the Nagishot community. I am truly touched by the sacrifice you are making to help win hearts for our Savior. I will continue to pray that God will have the glory with hearts that are surrendered to Him in Nagishot. Isaiah 43:19 Behold I do a new thing, Now shall it spring forth. Shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Watch it spring forth Lisa?
    Take care!!
    Tish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lisa. We think of you often - especially when we are walking around Chatelaine. It's so encouraging to hear about all the wonderful things God is teaching you - and us (through you). We are so thankful for your servants heart. We love reading your posts keeping us all updated. And the photography is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Lisa! We're praying for you and encouraged by how God is growing and stretching you to love the people you are with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for your update. What an interesting experience so far! What's the craziest thing you've eaten so far? Any bug delicacies? :) We miss you lots here and we think about you often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing Lisa! our small group has the privilege of praying for you again this spring! Looking forward to praying for you and hearing more about how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa - we love your pictures and your loving heart. Thanks for being such a guiding light !! Love - Bill & Loris

    ReplyDelete